Saturday, April 5, 2008

Sterling's View: From Section 29



So today I attended my first of many games at the Final Season at Yankee Stadium.  It started off well with a pretty good first inning from Pettitte and then the offense picked him up and scored early.  But it was all pretty much downhill from there.  My friend said to me in the second inning that they'd be lucky to get four good innings out of Pettitte today, he couldn't have been more right.  We could just see that he didn't have it today, not his usual self, and he will be the first to tell you that.

I'm not going to go into this with sort of play-by-play coverage, because if that's what your seeking there are other places to find it, but I just want to get into some of the things that I saw from the team and such.

* Andy's start was an isolated case I think.  He was shortened in spring training with the HGH stuff and the back injury.  I'm sure next time he'll be better, don't worry about him yet.  ...  The relievers looked good today, they kept the Yanks in the game, it could've been a barn burner early.  Brian Bruney looked very good today, I'm hoping for a good year from him big time, 4K in 2 innings.  Ross Ohlendorf got off to a bad start, but pitched well the rest of the way.

* Joe Pepitone pulled the lever to make it official that there 76 scheduled regular season games left at the stadium, tick tock (see above).

* The offense wasn't good today, obviously.  ...  I was impressed with A-Rod and Posada.  ...  Today was the worst I've ever seen Jeter play live going 0-5.  ...  Shelley Duncan swings for the fences every swing, he will either hit a HR or strikeout.  He's one of those guys.

* It's the first week of the season, it's not time to panic yet.  If this goes on for another 3-4 weeks, maybe you can get back to me.

Every time I go to a game I'll be doing this sort of recap thing.  And I'm also going to show you all the view from my seat, just for fun.

No comments: